Friday, January 28, 2011

Mud Guards

The mud guards started as a length of 25x3mm angle cut down to 16x2mm. This had to be rolled to the shape of the guards to support the sheet metal. The inner angle was bent, flange down, to attach the vertical sheet to the flat tops. The outer angle supports the flat tops on the outside and was bent flange up.



The sheets are riveted to the angles with round-head 3/32" steel rivets. The steps are also riveted. The vertical sheets are bolted to the transmission. They are also supported at the rear by two threaded bars.






The mud guard shown from underneath.









From the top with the roughed out foot plate in place.

3 comments:

  1. Lindsay:
    Firstly the work on your Cat Sixty is magnificent.
    I'm in the early stages of building a 1 1/2" to the foot model of the same prototype. My tracks are almost complete but are proceeding a lot slower than yours appear to be. I've reached a point where the cosmetic work on the tracks can be completed (dirt guards for instance) but I need to start on the transmission housing since so much of the tractor hangs on it. I'm encouraged by the way you built your transmission housing, it's ecaxtly the same as I anticipated making my version. I'll use a mixture of gas welding and silver brazing.
    On a slightly humourous note (although not so at the time) I read somewhere on your blog about the many pinch points which a completed set of tracks offers. I too discovered this as soon as I bolted the first set of grousers on and rolled the track along the bench. A 1" long srtip of skin was promptly removed from the palm of my left hand.
    Once again, nice workmanship.
    Regards,
    Alan Suttie BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words. I have just added a post on fabricating the transmission. I look forward to seeing some of your pictures. Thankfully I have had no such injuries (that could be the thick leather gloves I use to handle the track now).

    Regards,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan I veiwed you track photos on the MEW site ,
    a great result I look forward to following your progress

    ReplyDelete